Discussion générale autour du monde du Reggae Roots
Répondre
Groovybass
Engineer
canap winner : non

Re: [HELP] Recherche anciens numéros Natty Dread

Message par Groovybass » 01 nov. 2010 18:09

YouthDread a écrit :Merci ^^
Je fais de la basse est c'est un de mes idoles avec boris gardiner, clinton fearon, flabba holt ...
Pareil ! :)

YouthDread

Message par YouthDread » 02 nov. 2010 20:34

Tu sais quel type de basse c'est, la basse qu'avait robbie shakespear en forme de violon ( offerte par clinton fearon non?) ???

Shroomiz
Administrateur

Message par Shroomiz » 02 nov. 2010 20:43

Une Rickenbacker, une Hofner?

Bagga
Engineer

Message par Bagga » 02 nov. 2010 21:34

Une Hofner... offerte par Family Man...
As basses go, the Hofner “Beatle” bass is not a widely recognized part of reggae’s roots—that spot being reserved primarily for the Fender Jazz and Precision Basses—but it did figure prominently in Family Man Barrett’s early years, as well as those of another bass prodigy out of Jamaica. “I gave Robbie Shakespeare his first Hofner bass,” Fams recalls. “That was the one I had, and I when I give it to him, I tell him that when I’m out of Jamaica on the road with Bob and the Wailers, he must dominate the place with bass. And he did.”

Robbie himself remembers the exchange, as well as the importance of Barrett’s mentoring influence. “That’s who I get my teaching from,” he says. “Family Man, him say, ‘This the original bass Paul McCartney used to play.’ But the neck on it would bend, so it kind of hard to stay in tune, and the strings were pretty high off it. Over the years, if I play a regular bass, it would feel funny because I get used to that big bow [laughs]. But I had it for a long time because I love the sound. It just have a bass and treble [control]—my bass was always on and the treble always off.”

Shakespeare thinks he might have played the Hofner on the Wailers’ “Concrete Jungle”—one of the only tracks, over the course of eight years and nine studio albums, that didn’t feature Family Man on bass (although he did record a version, which is included on Island’s 2001 deluxe edition of Catch a Fire). “After I bring up Robbie as a bass player,” Fams explains, “I take him on sessions with me every time. I wanted to keep him away from the hot-stepper business. I didn’t want him to walk on the wild side [laughs]. When you’re young, there’s a lot of things to take you away. So I take him on the session and I tell Bob, this is the bass player I’m bringing up, and he’s good—let him play. And him play on some for Bunny and some for Peter, too. He was the first bass player for Peter Tosh’s band.”

In fact, when Shakespeare joined Peter Tosh and Word, Sound & Power, the Hofner was his main bass—he can be seen playing it in the photos that accompany Equal Rights [Columbia, 1977]. “Peter was supposed to go on tour for Legalize It,” Robbie recalls, “and we—Sly [Dunbar] and I—asked him to come out and see us, and we hooked up from there.”
Dossier complet : http://www.bassplayer.com/article/riddi ... t-07/31837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Groovybass
Engineer

Message par Groovybass » 03 nov. 2010 03:43

Yes, merci Bagga :bike:

Robbie a écrit :"It just have a bass and treble [control]—my bass was always on and the treble always off.”
:lol:
J'ai toujours fait pareil : basse à fond et le reste à zéro :)

YouthDread

Message par YouthDread » 05 nov. 2010 18:56

Yes merci beaucoup!
Je vais voir Flabba Holt pour la première fois de ma vie avec israel vibes pour leur nouvelle tournée ^^
J'ai hâte.

J'aurais voulu naître beaucoup plus tôt pour voir d'autres artistes aujoud'hui décédés...

slide
Producer
canap winner : 2 victoires

Message par slide » 05 nov. 2010 19:32

:mdr: :gribou:

YouthDread

Message par YouthDread » 07 nov. 2010 21:23

Il y aura jamais de reggae aussi bon que dans les années 70/80.
Et franchement les Mavado et autres, si c'est ça l'héritage du reggae, j'aurais préféré naître 30 ans plus tôt... :)

zonard
Producer
canap winner : 2 victoires

Message par zonard » 08 nov. 2010 10:36

natty a écrit :
YouthDread a écrit :J'aurais voulu naître beaucoup plus tôt pour voir d'autres artistes aujoud'hui décédés...
l'avantage, c'est que tu vas mourir beaucoup plus tard pour voir des artistes pas encore nés
Belle philosophie Natty, pour citer Wayne Wade, "I'm a man of the living and not of the death"

anbessa
Producer
canap winner : 1 victoire

Message par anbessa » 08 nov. 2010 11:13

YouthDread a écrit :Tu sais quel type de basse c'est, la basse qu'avait robbie shakespear en forme de violon ( offerte par clinton fearon non?) ???

Pour la session en studio avec les Roots Radics l'an passé, ils ont sorti leur vieux instruments (puisqu'ils savaient que je voulais du son vintage). Du coup, Flabba est venue avec sa Hofner, quel magnifique objet !

Quant à la philosophie de Natty, elle est belle en effet, mais malheureusement je partage pleinement celle de Youth Dread...
"Reggae music is not not something that you hear, it's something that you feel. And if you don't feel it you can't know it" Peter Tosh
http://www.soulofanbessa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Répondre

Retourner vers « Discussion Générale »