[INFO] Fake Acetate ! Message to the nations !

Discussion générale autour du monde du Reggae Roots
Répondre
Rootikalist
Sound System Star

[INFO] Fake Acetate ! Message to the nations !

Message par Rootikalist » 23 juil. 2013 10:32

I truly cannot understand people who buy Fake acetate on ebay from people like 45-juggler aka Jack Johnson , lepetitnuagebleu , awhodat and so on...Rootikalist say...be aware of that babylon sharks business , avoid buy those fake acetates. It's a 20£ plate with pressed some mp3 (in some case in low quality) , the only persons who see rights for the music are the sharks behind those names! AVOID!!!
Uday Shankar "Give the audience what they like before they know what they like"

robot
Sound System Star

Message par robot » 23 juil. 2013 16:47

Maybe you're right jacko but i wont be so affirmative now....

Indeed, these are recut from so called "old sources", which means most of the time a mp3/wav of ripped acetates....but sometime, it's the producer, or the original owner of the plate who provides the rip...

Now, if you had cut your own plate 20 years ago (being the original producer or not), and you would like to sell it (for various reasons), would you not consider ripping it carefully and cut it on a brand new acetate? I would. Now, if you want to get the best price out of it, could you consider selling through a reputable (or not) seller on ebay?

For me, the above desribed business has nothing to do with some sort of babylonian shark attacks. It is what u could call "hustling".

In these cases, an issue arise only when the buyer think he's bought an original vintage acetate, eventhough when clearly indicated its not.

Having said that, i know some sellers (from your list) just cut dubplates from sources on which they don't have any rights at all, just to make money, and this is not good indeed. But sometimes the truth behind a deal is only known by a few, and assertions should not be made by other people not involved in this specific deal.

I mean, amongst the large quantities of acetates sold by these sellers you're mentionned, some are original vintage, some are pure fake acetate, and some are legitimally recut from old source..and sometime you just can't tell which category an item fits in.

So basically, you're probably right to make people aware of these practices, but in my opinion, you should not call the sellers "sharks" or whatever...this is for jah to judge only.

respectssss

Rootikalist
Sound System Star

Message par Rootikalist » 23 juil. 2013 21:52

Sorry Robot but i'm a bit ruff when i have to send messages to the nations loool

I apreciate your way in find a positive thing in something like that but i'm not in agree with your points.

Indeed, these are recut from so called "old sources", which means most of the time a mp3/wav of ripped acetates....but sometime, it's the producer, or the original owner of the plate who provides the rip...

well when this sometimes happen it's very nice but yet , i haven't seen this happen too often , usually a producer tend to repress a tune in large number instead of rip off people on ebay selling acetates. If i'm not wrong even Mafia and Fluxi (??not sure it's them , selling piles of music house acetates??) sells lot of acetates on ebay...but seems that money calls money and if in the early times they were selling their productions i think i've seen them selling a big ammount of Tunes which have nothing to deal with them....and that's not good even if you are a big name in reggae. I can't think to other producers selling their own acetates on ebay.

Now, if you had cut your own plate 20 years ago (being the original producer or not), and you would like to sell it (for various reasons), would you not consider ripping it carefully and cut it on a brand new acetate? I would. Now, if you want to get the best price out of it, could you consider selling through a reputable (or not) seller on ebay?

Well , it's all about intentions , when people 20/30 years ago were cutting/re-cutting themself acetates , the plates were not supposed to be re-sold on ebay the week after for 200£ (the bad conditions copy)but were supposed to be used for Soundsystem use...plus the bad conditions ones were just leave on side , given to a friend or just sold for few £. The truth is that most of the times those acetates on ebay are just fresh of press , you can force yourself to see the good but sorry...i cannot , i know of people trashing stickers on acetates to make them looks old or scratch them a bit to give them this "vintage" sound. Sorry when it's about money and ebay i tend to see the negative point instead of the positive one.

For me, the above desribed business has nothing to do with some sort of babylonian shark attacks. It is what u could call "hustling".

As said i'm Always glad that in the world there's people who Always try to see the positive side of the story , i have seen enaught shit going on on ebay and in reggae business...i think i lose a bit of faith in the people. You han Hustle your vintage records , no problem but press a tune which have nothing to do with you and sell it as unique piece (when it's not) well that's a Parasite behave!

I mean, amongst the large quantities of acetates sold by these sellers you're mentionned, some are original vintage, some are pure fake acetate, and some are legitimally recut from old source..and sometime you just can't tell which category an item fits in.

Well , uhm , that's quite nonsense..the man sell 5 orig acetates so that allow him to sell 4 fake ones? maybe i haven't get the point

So basically, you're probably right to make people aware of these practices, but in my opinion, you should not call the sellers "sharks" or whatever...this is for jah to judge only

I'm sorry but we live in a world were it's better to make some judgment to prevent yourself from corrupted things. Those who print acetates and put them on ebay with no rights are SHARKS....just like there's sharks in many other things in life and i try avoid sharks and if i can i advise other people to avoid.
Jah can Judge and i hope he will take some precautions when it's his time , but i also judge what's going on around me as there's enaught Tricky Babylon things going on nowdays.

robot
Sound System Star

Message par robot » 24 juil. 2013 13:11

respects jacko...positivity is the key innit

Antocha
Administrateur
canap winner : 1 victoire

Message par Antocha » 27 juil. 2013 11:31

Exemple:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnny-Clarke-e ... 46115caac9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Objets inanimés, avez-vous donc une âme. Qui s'attache à notre âme et la force d'aimer? A. Lamartine

ITAL
Producer

Message par ITAL » 12 août 2013 09:24

I saw this message and I was a little bit surprise by all these judgement words and all about what people can do or can not do... Dubplate business is another kind of business than records business, strictly for sound system selectors. As we all know acetate is a very fragile thing, make to be used carefully and in a very limited time. Years ago I bought acetate dubplates from Andrew of Tradition Records, which were recut from the original ones as they began deteriorate by times and sound system process. It was dubplates from various sound system that sold they collection. So? Is this well respected man a f***ing bootleger like all of yours here called this type of guy? I don't think so! Don't put all the eggs in the same basket! I personnally think some are bootleggers and here to make easy & quick money, but some are just selling acetates which can be recut from some old ones and can be save & survive to the time. But anyway, everybody seems to release dubplates right now (Dennis Browns 'Love Jah', Augustus Pablos 'No Entry', Barry Browns 'Leggo Jah Jah Children', Lloyd Ruddocks 'Conquering Lion' etc...) so WTF everybody can have right now music that was only exclusive to sound system and was a treasure and not made to be published, so everybody are happy, all will be released soon, even that was not made to be!

Rootikalist
Sound System Star

Message par Rootikalist » 12 août 2013 11:04

Ciao Ital

I think Tradition is doing a great work with his sales...never seen fake acetates from him , strictly real thing. The rest which include answer to you have been said up :)

Acetate is a different business yes...but you gotta be even more carefull when you deal with it

ITAL
Producer

Message par ITAL » 12 août 2013 14:28

Yes, I think we are agree Rootikalist!
The thing is that I saw & hear so many dead acetates with unreleased music on them! Music that will never be heard at all, and I am very sad of that because it's a part of History that had disapeared.
So these days, if you find an original acetate in good condition the only advice that I can have is to record it and keep it safetly! Recut it if you want to play it, but it's also nice to have the possibility to play it to the people in a dance even if it's not the original acetate, because sometimes it can be the only solution to preserve it. So I am not here to say if these people are doing a good or a bad job when they're selling this kind of unreleased music on ebay as this music has definitively no price as it is unique, but it can be a bad thing for a good thing to have the possibility to have this. After that, making money for making money, ok, we are agree, it's a bad thing.

Rootikalist
Sound System Star

Message par Rootikalist » 12 août 2013 14:40

Yes Ital!
Nuff said! Me & my bredda Marco worked damn hard on pc software to adjust old acetates and fix them to recut (handmade declicker one by one and paste/cut to solve jumps, remastering , still have no solution for heavyhiss without affecting the sound) , its years we have added an annunce to find a Laser Turntable in Italy to rip without jump few acetates that we cannot fix! Recut acetate for personal use is a personal choise and i feel its great to preserve this music...thats why my recuts are strictly on polyvinyl (less fashionable but lighter and lastlonger!)

Anyway my recuts are for personal use not for ebay sales even if i recon that we might be top fake acetate sellers lol

Répondre

Retourner vers « Discussion Générale »